swatched: ten over ten church

October 10, 2012

You really can’t go wrong with a deep red polish, and that’s certainly the case with ten over ten Church.

It’s rich, glossy, and applies smoothly in two coats. I tried three coats on my pointer finger, which made the shade significantly darker without turning completely black. This shade works well with my skin tone, and I think it would be universally flattering on just about everyone.

The bottle shape is a bit unconventional, but it works perfectly for me. Unless I’m doing detailed nail art, I generally paint my nails while sitting on the couch with my knees up by my chest (I’m not recommending this method…), and the large, square bottle is perfectly suited to hold between my knees as I paint! Is that strange? Nevertheless, I like it.

I topped my mani today with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, one of my top coat standbys.

As I gear up for a “battle of the base coats and top coats” post, I’d love to hear your favorites so I can test-drive them myself. What are your top/base must-haves? Let me know in the comments!

1. October 10, 2012 11:03 AM

I’m wearing sole mate from essie, kind of the same color :) There’s nothing better in autumn.

• annamnorman permalink*
      October 10, 2012 11:04 AM

That color looks gorgeous! I haven’t tried it yet.

2. Alex permalink
    October 10, 2012 11:19 AM

In the past, I’ve used Zoya Anchor base coat and Nails Inc. Kensington Caviar top coat. While both were great right away (especially the top coat – dry enough to move on with your life in about one minute), they both became goopy and rather unmanageable past the halfway point in each bottle. Considering that Nails Inc. doesn’t even give you the full standard .5 oz to begin with, I was pretty disappointed by this, and I’m trying other top coats now. I just purchased China Glaze’s fast dry top coat and a base coat from Poshe. I’ll let you know how those two measure up!

• October 10, 2012 11:21 AM

Thanks for commenting, Alex! I always have that issue with tops and bases – so frustrating! They’re great at first, but they get goopy so quickly. Even my Seche Vite, which applied so beautifully at first, is now like super glue.

• beachgal permalink
        October 10, 2012 12:54 PM

I asked at a beauty supply if they had or could get the thinner that SV makes. I have seen it a few times on evil bay. I love SV for my top coat, but like many – never get beyond 2/3rd of a bottle. They did not have it and encouraged me to not use anything else but the SV thinner. I thought might as well try a regular thinner since I was tossing out the SV anyway…and ya know – it worked well…I used less than I normally would to thin a color polish.

• beachgal permalink
        October 10, 2012 1:00 PM

My go to base is Orly’s Nail Armor. It’s a sheer buff color since it also is a ridge filler as well as base. I don’t have ridges but swear by this base coat. I never get stained nails using it when it’s a color that others complain stains horrible! I do use more than 1 coat of the Nail Armor – I put on 2 or enough until it looks like a sheer (or kind of) that you would use for a French mani – only the Nail Armor will still have some streak marks in it which is OK – it’s not your color coat. I use it on my toes also always before a pedi color and again..no staining! I have tried a ton of base coats – none hold up to this one. Folks who swear by Orly’s Bonder have good luck with it…I don’t. My color pops off like I have press on nails. Bonder also makes my color coat sit up off the nail and I don’t like that look.

3. Whitney permalink
    October 10, 2012 11:54 AM

I use a protein base coat from Essie and RapiDry by OPI, usually works well.

4. Allyson permalink
    October 10, 2012 12:38 PM

I’m forever on the hunt for the perfect base coat/top coat combo. For top coats, I rotate Cult Nails Wicked Fast (which I love, but it does tend to chip after 2-3 days), Sally Hansen Mega Shine, and Seche Vite (I, too, hate how thick it gets after half a bottle is gone!). For base coats, I usually use OPI Natural Nail but have recently been trying Orly Bonder.

Looking forward to seeing your “battle” results! (And Church is a great vampy red!)

• October 10, 2012 12:55 PM

Thanks, Allyson! I love Wicked Fast as well – it was my favorite for a while. Now I’m not so sure what I like – hence the battle.

5. beachgal permalink
    October 10, 2012 12:51 PM

This oxblood shade is a huge hit again this fall. I like it a lot – not as deep as a real vampy blackened red.

• October 10, 2012 12:54 PM

Agreed! The really black-red is usually too dark for my super-fair skin.

6. Aly permalink
    October 10, 2012 1:02 PM

Alyike CND Stickey base coat or Nail Tek Foundation II, but my absolute favorite top coat is Poshe Super Fast Drying topcoat, the best IMHO. As far as topcoats becoming goopy, they all seem to do that & pretty quickly too, I think it’s just the nature of the beast. That can easily be remedied by adding a few drops of thinner, I use Seche Restore for all my polish, regardless of the brand & it works great.

7. Tanya permalink
    October 10, 2012 5:09 PM

I paint my nails sitting with the bottle in between my knees too! Glad to know that I’m not alone.

8. Holly permalink
    October 10, 2012 5:21 PM

BUTTER! love both the Flawless Basecoat & the PD Quick Topcoat. Good stuff.

9. Gibby permalink
    October 10, 2012 8:24 PM

ROCK top coat made by European Secrets and available at Sally’s or via Amazon. Must be applied over wet polish. I bought a bottle several years ago, loved it and misplaced it and recently found it again (I’d forgotten the name). We don’t have a Sally’s out here in the woods, so I even paid shipping and ordered a fresh bottle online from Amazon, so I won’t run out if there’s any kind of apocalypse, you know?

10. Noelle permalink
    October 13, 2012 10:37 AM

I love Sally Hansen’s Double Duty base AND top coat in one! I used Seche Vite for a while, and I loved how fast it dried and how shiny it was, but now it is really thick and can’t be used. Also, I found that Seche Vite made my nail polish peel off in sheets! I couldn’t believe it based on all the raves, so I was wondering if anyone else had that happen?

11. October 22, 2012 7:25 PM

I love this deep red color- so pretty! I’m curious to see what everyone says about their base coat of choice because I’m in the market for a new one. For top coat, I just started using Seche Vite and I cannot get over how shiny it makes my nails look!