swatched: essie yogaga collection

July 14, 2012

Nail polish and yoga are both high up on my list of favorite things, so a yoga-themed polish collection from Essie would be perfection, right? Yoga and fitness apparel generally come in vibrant colors, so I expected brights from this collection. Surprisingly, Essie has gone an entirely different route. Take a look…

The first color I tried was Yogaga, the namesake of the collection. Essie describes it as “creamy, icy taupe,” which is fairly accurate. I wanted to love the yoga color, but I’m pretty indifferent to this one.

It’s not particularly flattering on my skin tone, but it did apply nicely in two smooth coats. For me, the worst part of this shade is its name. Yogaga? What does that even mean? Like…gaga for yoga?

Next up is Spinning Again, which Essie calls a “nuanced, neutral brick.” I prefer a bright candy apple red on my skin tone, but this dustier shade has its place and I don’t have a polish quite like it in my collection right now.

Gym Dandy is a brown/grey creme with a slightly watery formula that required more clean-up than the rest of this collection.

Perhaps this color would be better on olive-toned or darker skin, but it just doesn’t work for me. It makes my skin look really pink.

I love pale lavenders and lilacs, so I was happy to see Pilates Hottie. Essie describes it as a “subdued, pinky, taupy lilac.” It can look quite pink or completely purple depending on the light.

I’m not sure how a dusty rose polish invokes thoughts of running a marathon, but this polish is called Marathin. When I think of marathons I see strong, powerful colors, and this doesn’t quite fit the bill.

Dusty rose is a pretty common and slightly dated nail polish shade, but it is pretty and would be well suited for the office or a formal event.

Last but not least, my favorite polish in this collection, Boxer Shorts. It’s a “cool yet classic purple,” though I’d describe it more as a blurple. It reads very blue in these photos, but is a touch more purple in real life.

Boxer Shorts applied really smoothly and has a great glossy finish. I’ll be wearing this one a lot this summer, and I’m excited to try it on my toes.

Verdict: I’m not crazy about this collection, but I do really like Boxer Shorts, and will probably get some use out of Pilates Hottie, too. For colors inspired by fitness, I’m surprised that these shades are so soft and muted. They all have a classic Essie creme formula, so that’s definitely a plus. I used two coats for each, plus one coat of Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Shellac’d top coat.

The Yogaga Collection will be available nationwide in August, though a few bloggers have spotted it in stores already. Will you be picking up anything from this collection?

Wait, one more thing! Congrats to Tara Lea, the winner of my bigRuby nail tattoo giveaway! Thank you to everyone who entered!

I received these samples for review, but all opinions are my own.

1. July 14, 2012 9:56 PM

There’s a new collection released every day! I can’t keep up! I love Boxer Shorts. My fave also.

2. July 14, 2012 11:28 PM

I don’t really know, none of these really do anything for me. And I agree with the above comment: there’s so many collections being released by Essie that I can’t keep up with them!
    –Becky
    preppypremed.blogspot.com

3. July 15, 2012 8:15 AM

Love the Boxer Shorts. The others are okay, but I wouldn’t have thought yoga for all of them. I’m not a fan of the name “Marathin” either.

4. July 15, 2012 8:59 AM

I think I love the Spinning Again on your fingers! I might even like it on my skin – I can see it becoming a go-to fall color for me. But I agree, Pilates Hottie and Boxer Shorts are probably my favorite (and Marathin is a weird, too-into-Thinspiration name for me).

K @ http://www.rivercityfashion.com

5. July 16, 2012 2:47 PM

Boxer Shorts photographs very similar to this spring’s (summer’s?) Bikini So Teeny. Think I’m gonna pass on this collection, but your swatches are wonderful!

• July 16, 2012 2:59 PM

It is really similar to Bikini So Teeny, just a touch more purple (though it photographs almost identically). Thanks for commenting!

6. Rachel permalink
    July 16, 2012 6:27 PM

I guess this is my kind of collection. I love them all! I own nothing like any of them.

7. July 17, 2012 2:40 AM

These colors are so blah. Essie’s Spring and Summer lines this year were so nice I got too hopeful thinking this fall would be better. I swear a few are a couple shades off from the same colors they released last fall (that brick brown one in particular). Boxer Shorts is the only one that looks appealing to me.

8. July 17, 2012 8:04 AM

These are all quite “bleh” for me, but I do appreciate your swatches! The names are atrocious, and that dusty rose color reminds me of wooden ducks with lace bowties circa 1992.

9. July 17, 2012 1:57 PM

Boxer shorts is a beautiful color! Can I just say that I just discovered your blog and I’m kinda obsessed? I’ve got so many nail ideas running through my head now!

10. Rachel permalink
    July 17, 2012 2:01 PM

I guess the reason I like them so much is because I prefer classy colors. Loud, obnoxious, dare I say “trashy” neons that are typically released in Spring/Summer collections make me gag. Boxer Shorts really throws me off. I think a muted forest green would have made more sense with the other colors. It’s all a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

11. July 17, 2012 9:36 PM

i agree with you about marathon (had the same thought when i stumbled upon it at walgreen’s this evening) BUT i think mauve polishes are going to be big for fall, so that one is my favorite :)

• July 17, 2012 11:48 PM

Yeah, these will probably be more appealing in the fall with scarves and coats, just not right now when it’s a million degrees and humid in NYC! Thanks for commenting, Lara!

12. Kellie permalink
    July 21, 2012 8:46 PM

The only color I liked enough to buy from this set was Boxer Shorts and this is the first Essie collection in a loooong time that I’m just not impressed at all with. But, that’s ok .. they can’t all be winners. Especially when Essie’s been bangin’ em out like crazy lately. :)

13. ANDREA permalink
    August 2, 2012 11:53 AM

i think they are all same colors from other collections but with different names. Just like OPI does, because all the beauty supply stores dont have this collectioN JUST RETAIL

14. beachgal12 permalink
    August 8, 2012 9:31 PM

Have not spotted this collection yet in the stores. I need to get out my tiny little town and off to the next tiny little town and check their drug store! I love Boxer Shorts.

Trackbacks

1. yogaga: "yoga-themed" nail polish collection from essie
  2. Yogaga Nail Polish Collection by Essie - MyFavoriteStyles
  3. Okay, I’m Serious This Time [#Swatchathon] | Mario, Shut Up!