nail art: white to black striped gradient

May 18, 2012

Applying thin vertical stripes of color is a simple way to create a modern gradient nail design. I used pinks for this look a few months ago, but today I’ll show you how to get this ombre mani with shades of grey.

Start by choosing four polishes. I’m using Sally Hansen xTreme Wear White On, Zoya Dove, Nails Inc. The Thames, and Mattese Elite Black.

Starting with the lightest color, paint a vertical stripe down the side of each nail. You could use a small paintbrush, but I just used the normal polish brush. Continue with the remaining three colors, adding stripes until you’ve filled your entire nail with polish. For best results, work polish by polish (paint every nail with the first color, then move on to the next color) rather completing a full nail at a time.

Dip a small makeup brush in polish remover and clean up around the edges. Once all of the polish is dry, add a good top coat to smooth out the brushstrokes and add some shine!

Voila! Have you played around with gradient/ombre manis? What’s your favorite technique?

1. May 18, 2012 10:19 AM

That’s so cool! I’ll def. do that once I get the right color greys. :) I like to do my nails sort of like you just did, but slanted, not straight, and with red as the base color, the white, then silver. :)

• May 18, 2012 1:00 PM

Hey Ashley! Take a photo next time you do your red/white/silver nails and send it my way!

2. Denise Shively permalink
    May 18, 2012 12:58 PM

That’s awesome! Thanks so much – I really prefer photo tutorials over video tutorials, but it’s hard to find good ones. Yours is awesome, and I’ll definitely be trying that out at some point :)

• May 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Thanks for commenting, Denise! Video tutorials certainly have their place but I sometimes find them hard to sit through!

• June 8, 2012 12:16 PM

I started paniing my nails about 2 years ago and its amazing what you can do with a little color (or mixing diffrent colors!). I love classic red the most and glitter can be fun too! but it’s hard to pick a favorite. during fall I tend to use brown alot, but still havent found the perfect one yet!

3. May 18, 2012 5:38 PM

these are gorgeous! I haven’t found myself drawn to the whole-hand ombre trend, but I love this – I’m so trying this out later :)

4. September 23, 2012 7:56 AM

i JUst luv all the nail art tips
    so glad i found this site
    i hope u bring out more designs

Trackbacks