nail art: cinco de mayo nails

May 4, 2012

I’m off to Long Island tomorrow to take part in some serious Cinco de Mayo festivities (you know, gorging on chips, guac, and margaritas, guilt-free). Here’s a quick and easy way to bring the May 5th fun onto your nails in a few simple steps.

I began by painting my nails with Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in Wasabi, a pea-green creme polish. Use whichever margarita-inspired color you fancy – red, blue, white…

For the salt effect, I grabbed a couple chunky glitter polishes and flakies to layer on the tips of my nails. I used Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in Glass Slipper, which is a white flakie, and added a touch of the glittery silver OPI Spark de Triomphe. I used the regular polish brush to carefully dab the glitter onto my tips, but if you’re working with a particularly finicky glitter, you could use a makeup brush or a sponge for easier application.

Apply the top coat of your choice for a little extra shine and to smooth out the glitter. I used Seche Vite, which I finally bought after resisting for so long.

Do you have Cinco de Mayo plans? Let me know in the comments!

1. budziak permalink
    May 4, 2012 10:52 AM

How festive!!!

2. May 4, 2012 11:25 AM

So cool! Looks just like a margarita :)

3. May 4, 2012 12:22 PM

Great idea! Love it!

4. sarasarakanti permalink
    May 4, 2012 12:35 PM

Very festive! Derby Party at Pete’s Candy Store, and a Cinco de Mayo Party in BK! Have fun in LI!

5. May 4, 2012 1:48 PM

I’ve been resisting buying seche vite, too. How do you like it? Do you have the quick drying version?

• May 4, 2012 1:57 PM

I have to say, it’s pretty amazing. I have the normal one, not the quick dry, but it dries SO FAST. It makes doing techniques like scotch tape nail art so much easier. On the other hand, the smell is really strong, it sometimes “shrinks” the polish so it looks like you have tip wear on day one, and the warning about birth defects on the back is pretty disconcerting. I’m going to try to only use it from time to time.

• May 5, 2012 10:45 AM

Thanks for the detailed info! I really appreciate it. Birth defects, huh? Yikes. I will probably abstain for the time being.

6. May 4, 2012 4:47 PM

These are absolutely fabulous!!!

7. May 4, 2012 5:57 PM

I did something quite similar to this awhile back, except I dotted white polish on my tips instead of using glitter. I love the way the glitter looks, great post! :D

8. May 17, 2012 10:39 PM

omg i too did a margarita inspired mani and used Wasabi! Your look is MUCH more wearable lol. But I think that’s so awesome/funny/weird we did a similar look AND used one of the same polishes. Clearly, Wasabi is “the” margarita green ;)

Trackbacks