nail art: neon polka dot french manicure

March 7, 2012

Neon is popping up everywhere this season. Screaming orange or hot, hot pink can feel pretty loud for a full manicure, so here’s a look to try if you want to rock some fun shades, but look a bit more subdued from afar. My take on a French mani for the season…the neon polka dot French.

I began by painting my nails with a solid white polish – Sally Hansen xTreme Wear in White On. This is such a great streak-free white. I then rounded up five of the closest shades to neon I have in my collection.

L to R: Mattese Elite Neon Explosive, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Pool Boy, Mattese Elite Almost Famous, China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy, and Sephora by OPI Domestic Goddess.

I found some pointy-tipped Q-tips in the eye makeup section of the drugstore, but you could also use a regular Q-tip with a little of the cotton fluff pulled off, or a fancy dotting tool. I collected a little drop of polish on the tip of my Q-tip from the polish brush (actually dipping the Q-tip in the bottle will pick up way too much polish).

Make small dots across the tip of your nail, changing colors after you complete each nail. I have to re-dip and get more polish on my Q-tip every few dots, but I’d rather work with a tiny amount of polish and have more control.

Voila! A neon dotted French. So simple, but so fun!

This would be a great way to use the new brights from China Glaze ElectroPop or Color Club Neons.

Are you rocking the neon trend this season?

1. March 7, 2012 9:09 AM

this is too cute!

2. March 7, 2012 12:56 PM

the adorableness here is endless! nails/nail polish/nail design never gets old.

3. March 7, 2012 1:30 PM

Sooo cute! I was just looking into buying a bottle of white nail polish, but I didn’t know what I’d use it for…now I do!
    –Becky

• March 7, 2012 1:32 PM

Thanks, Becky! I’ve really fallen for white polish lately. I think it looks really fresh and clean. I’ve been using Sally Hansen xTreme Wear in White On which applies smoothly and streak-free.

4. March 7, 2012 2:48 PM

that is really cute!

5. March 22, 2012 1:36 PM

Stumbled upon your adorable blog via your feature on Birchbox. This mani is adorable!! Pinned.
    ~Madeline

6. Danielle permalink
    April 4, 2012 5:23 PM

I love this!

7. Briana permalink
    July 10, 2012 12:19 PM

Hey I like these nails polish

Trackbacks